Tuesday, May 1, 2012

DIARY ENTRY: At age 66


Painting in Eaton Canyon

Et cum spirtu tuo.

Yesterday I was 66 - the 65th milestone year is over.  A lovely day Monday taking a color theory workshop in beautiful Eaton Canyon.   It gets a bit more rain and wildflowers are blooming, and quail call.  The teacher says one sees colors best outdoors in filtered or overcast light, and I do hope it assists my perception.  I am distracted by the beauty, yearn to get up and hike instead of struggling to master the complexities of color, to unlock from those pigments their possibilities.
Yesterday we marked my day in a low-key.  My husband and I went to Latin Mass and heard La Schola sing, at beautiful St. Thomas church.  Incense, late afternoon golden sunlight, the old Latin phrases of devotion from my childhood and history, a homily about being available to choose to accept God’s grace in one’s life, and what it will require.  Dinner at a lovely Indian restaurant,  the hub let looking quite handsome. 
The night before I went to dinner and to see the Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet at UCLA.  A provocative evening of contemporary dance works by newer choreographers. Sunday we had a family dinner with the grandchildren, the 6-year old crawling onto my lap and playing silly games with me. My son and his fiancĂ© came, too, and I was so glad to see them.  She is a lovely person, quiet, low-key, self-possessed, and the grandchildren take to her easily as she slips into the family routine.  
The baby is working her charms on Grampy, and he on her.  He carries her around and it’s very cute, seeing him befriend her.  He took the boys on a walk instead of going to the gym.  
The baby lets me give her water from a cup, eagerly drinking.  She wants to take liquid like this, I think, because she watches me drink from my Coke can and wants to try it.  She has a ready smile and alert, watchful quiet nature.
The two boys tussle like puppies, and we are all happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment