Monday, December 23, 2013

DOCUMENTARY FILM: Blackfish & Seeing Sea World

I have taken zoos as valuable learning institutions, eagerly seeing entertainment destinations to prevent my children and grandchildren from being exposed to boredom.

And I delighted in my visits to the magnificent San Diego Zoo, butterfly farms, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Wild Animal Park, petting zoos.  Aren't zoos, aquariums, water parks, circuses, even backyard turtles and school fair goldfish prizes, rightfully part of the discovery process? Isn't valuing earth's stupendous reality as we attain our years the most desirable outcome?

Yes but. As I painfully reset my relation to all sentient beings, replacing dominion with stewardship, I wish it were possible to leave only footprints. 

The compromises are hair-shirt uncomfortable these days, with films like "The Cove" and "Blackfish" revealing animal abuse we never even thought about as we walked through the magic kingdoms commerce created for us.

Here's the modest proposal: We look at movies instead. Film crews are licensed to shoot and audited for best practices. Audiences go to Imax-type movie theaters, called Filmzoos. They look at taxidermied specimens and plaster models in diorama settings.

I know, you can't hear me anymore. Being able to pay means you get your way. Don't say I didn't try to warn you.  Karma exists.

PS: PETA did attempt a demonstration at the Rose Parade but it was quickly dispersed and they came off mostly as nutty activists. Probably its the first stage of awareness, Marcuse might say, or the only possible last stage of one-dimensional men.



    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment