Monday, May 19, 2014

Ramsey Canyon: Hummingbird Central Right Here!

My camera isn't working - these photos are all "appropriated" from the web for educational purposes only.
ROAD TO RAMSEY - leave the desert behind and drive into the Huachucas

Ramsey Canyon has an unusual northeast orientation in the Huachuca Mountains within the Upper San Pedro River Basin, and this keeps it shadier.  15 species of hummingbirds are found here, an astonishing number. I wish I could tell  you we saw them all, but we did see several. 
Feeders make the viewing easy - pull up a chair and the show will fly to you.

I shall leave them till another report, because this was our first day and other sightings were more easily done.


Coue's Deer - a smaller deer that wandered comfortably about the preserve

Gould's Turkey, also sighted wandering easily about - we would see many more later on

Townsend's Warble was a fun sighting, though I'd seen it before.  Tom, our guide was very helpful.

The Preserve was very worthwhile and beautiful and I will see it again on my next trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment