Saturday, February 15, 2014

BACKYARDS

Andrew Jackson Downing cottage plan, 1842
The American dream is a home of one's own, a cottage with a green pocket of grass in the front yard.

Now we have a little jewel-box of a cottage, but a version peculiar to Southern California.  The back yard has a beautiful "black" swimming pool, palm trees, a gazebo, a barbecue and lounge furniture.

Besides a home of my own, I have a room of my own: the old inaccessible garage has become a studio-playroom, a light-filled white room of fun and possibility.

I sit on charming white wicker, watching the migrating birds in the old trees which grace my neighbors' yards.



Yesterday I swam in 80 degree sunshine.  The water was heated to 90, and I never wanted to get out.
The East Coast is recovering from another serious snow storm. 

I think of it as dumb good fortune, that Mom decided to move to Southern California from Wisconsin, and I live this life of ease and unreal pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment