Monday, February 10, 2014

Environment: A SPECIAL GRIEVING for Whooping Cranes and other wonders



LACMA Japanese Pavilion - Whooping Cranes

In Southern Louisiana,they shoot whooping cranes, 5 since 2011. And Kentucky.  2 there.  So? The ENTIRE population of western whooping cranes is about 300.  I guess some folks think that's too many.  

Every day when I read the newspaper I try to comprehend the range of human stupidity, ignorance, and malice. It's as sterile an endeavor as my efforts to understand the depths of space and death. 

Even more futile: struggle with the reality: go on, try to get over the rage, the despair, the grief, the wish to confront THEM, and stomp them until they are sawdust, like the mad crowd in "The Rage of the Locust".

Oh bring them back: the cranes, the salmon, the black rhinos, the tigers, monarchs, sea bass, whales,the snow,the rain; all the exquisite souls that did not choose to die.

They did not drink and drive, buy assault weapons, abuse their families, commit genocide; they are sentient and guiltless. 

Monsters. We are all implicated. I will never be free of the responsibility and guilt. 

I am going to go run away now, on a treadmill and reach a conditioning heart rate level appropriate for a 67 year old. A kind of somatic penance, all I can perform. 



No comments:

Post a Comment