Thursday, January 21, 2016

BIRD WATCHING: The Cedar Waxwings are here again. And Northern Flickers, too.

  

Some years, I hear a high keening sound in the back yard, strange, insistent, and electronic, and then I  realize the Cedar Waxwings are passing through.  They love to light upon  my neighbor's tall old liquidambar  tree, on bare branches high up which offer a sociable spot to gather in early morning and mid-afternoon.  
I did not see them last year, though attending to their possibility, and missed their stopover in our old trees, the peculiar tone penetrating my mind, continuing on and on.   I love to think of the journey they make to our southwestern location, leaving the snowy cold north for a time. 

They are handsome large birds, the crest on the head and the sharp dark eyestripe making them look like hipsters.  They are beautifully detailed, with a red stripe on the wings and tail, and a delicately shaded pale yellow stomach.  

I have seen a pair of Northern Flickers, too, another lovely large bird with a striking black "bib" on its chest. The underparts of the tail feathers and some wing feathers are a brilliant yellow-orange. 






No comments:

Post a Comment