Wednesday, September 12, 2012

ART: The Rinpa Aesthetic in Japanese Art/The Met


Flowers  of A Hundred Worlds - Kamisakka Sekka, Japanese Rinpa Aesthetic Tradition (Woodblock print book)

 This exhibit was stunning to me - how I respond to the decorative content in artmaking!  Japanese design, printmaking, textiles, ceramics, baskets:  how I value and treasure them all.


These drawings seem miraculous to me, I’m in awe here of their lyric power - the artist’s full sense of the beauty he saw- I know he Knew, and this is what comes of it, the gift - it’s a gift to self, first, and then whatever else comes after. 

Isamu Noguchi, Fountain   How lovely to find this strongly machined and hewn shape cut to make the rock a kind of geode, water gently brimming over its edges and into the ground so slow so slow. 


It's a huge conflict for me as I paint - that I love the delicate decorative, cherished revelation as much as I love what is expressive and painterly.  Of course, it's to be balanced and fused in one's style - I can hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment