Tuesday, September 4, 2012

GARDEN: Roses


The autumn is coming, I can feel change.
Tuesday, September 4, 2012 – 
GET READY FOR ANOTHER
GOLD MEDAL - web photo - I just planted this old favorite of mine in May.
TRIP:  The Rose Garden
I’m mulching and feeding the roses once again, carefully grooming them again after letting them go for several years.  It’s very satisfying - they are heavy feeders and very responsive to care, and the extreme pruning I did in July, though unrecommended and unusual, reset them very successfully and they responded with a grand, healthy bounteous flowering.
I’ve put in three yellows, and they are doing well.  When we come back,  I’ll finish adding new fragrant-only selections and colors.  I may remove a few more.  I’ve removed all other plantings and so access is very good now, and I can move easily around them to work on them.
Very stiff!  It’s fun working with Florentino, the gardener.  He suggested I put in a climber, and I think we will during bare root season.

No comments:

Post a Comment